Thursday, November 17, 2011

Trial or Miracle??? Pam's story continues.....

Ok, now for the update you have all been waiting to hear. Before I go into todays appointment, I need to back track about part of this miracle....
Before my 1st Surgery October 7th, I talked with breast Diagnostics to see what exactly this surgery was for and ask questions. They told me that since the biopsy could not prove or rule out cancer, they chose to do this surgery to remove the tissue. They informed me that medical research is going back and forth as to if it is really necessary to put someone through surgery when it may not be cancer. But Breast Diagnostics and MD Anderson did their own 2 year research program to follow this type of biopsy. In the surgeries were done only about 3 or 4 in 2 years came back as actual cancer. The rest came back as precancerous cells. However, in the women they did not do surgery on, over 1/2 came back with invasive breast cancer. So it was decided to be safe and remove the tissue in question, and be safe, rather than have it become full blown cancer within 2 years. They told me that I had a choice to turn down the surgery, but to me, it was a blessing this was even found, so I opted to follow through with the surgery and be safe now, rather than sorry later. The reminded me that only 3 or 4 in their research came back as cancer, so I should not be afraid. Most likely it was just an abnormal cell, or precancerous cell. So, with that, the rest of the story continued.
Now for today's update..... I went to MD Anderson and met with a wonderful doctor. She explained to me about the Lobular cancer I had and what it was, and the difference between lobular cancer and Ductal cancer. She called it cancer lesson 101. Which I was grateful because it helped us all to understand what excactly was going on in my body. She assured me that the RIGHT decision was made, not only to have the 1st surgery, but also the 2nd surgery. As they were able to completely remove all of the cancerous area. So I was relieved that we went against the odds and chose surgery! Huge blessing! She then explained that there are still numerous abnormal cells in my breasts. And because of that I am at very high risk for invasive cancer (meaning the cancer spreading). However, she explained that with Lobular cancer (LCIS) which is what I have, it does not respond to radiation or chemo! If cancer returns, and we know it will at sometime in the future, I would need a mastectomy. So, we had two choices.
One: we could just keep a close eye on the abnormal cells and if it goes into cancer, more surgery to remove. OR Two: Try some Tamoxifen cancer treatment pills. I would be on these pills every day for the next 5 years. They are suppose to slow down the cancer cells, keep new cells from growing, or hopefully kill off the cells.... There of course are some serious risks involved, but the risks vs cancer equals NO BRAINER! With being on the Tamoxifen, I will be watched closely with MD Anderson. And regular bloodwork will be done, along with other testing. We feel at peace with this decision. And the best news..... I am free to go to Idaho on December 14th as planned and stay till February to help Kellie!!!! I will have a follow up appointment and blood work before I leave for Idaho, and will follow up immediately when I get home in February. There is a bit of bad news..... I can still only lift 5 lbs. max. Hopefully in another month I will be able to lift 10 lbs. But that is my LIMIT! Which means.... No picking up and carrying my adorable grandson! Although I can HOLD babies and Camren as long as I am sitting down. NOT picking them up! So I will have to just be happy with that! Also, they found that there is still alot of fluid in the breast from the surgeries. It should have been gone by now, and with the pain I am having they are afraid it could go into an infection. So I have to watch that closely, and if pain gets worse, or any infection, I need to get to ER immediately and have it drained. GREAT! But I'm NOT complaining. This is the best news I could have asked for. I am sooooo grateful for all the prayers. Even if this slows the cancer down for a couple years, I am good, as I have other things I need to deal with. I am grateful for the miracles I have seen in my life these last few months. I am grateful for modern day technology as we have learned that this was just literally getting ready to spread. I know the miracles happened because of all the prayers that were offered in my behalf! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! You will never know how much you all mean to me!
Until next time.......

1 comment:

  1. Praise the LORD!! May He continue to be with you in the ongoing 'adventure'. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with so much to be grateful for!

    Love you MUCH!!!

    Kathy and Tom

    ReplyDelete